Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Letter to a (My) Teenager

Dear Future Teenager,

While the world is growing and things are advancing, like technology... you might come across this letter and think, "How the heck did she write this?" and "What the heck does she mean?"

I know, because, well... I thought those things, too.

Language uses change, as does meanings of words. People change, as they get older, becoming less tolerable.

If I say you are sick... it doesn't mean it is fabulous. It either means you are being disgusting or you have an illness.

If I say something is ridiculous, it doesn't mean fabulous, either. It means it is stupid, preposterous, or laughable.

If I say you are beautiful, that doesn't mean sarcastic, as I would never tell you that with sarcasm and have it mean the opposite.

When I say, "I love you", it means what it is. Love from me that is there for you. Please hold this in your heart forever.

So... if ever I say things to you that you might find offensive or embarrassing, please remember, in my time, they weren't offensive, but meant something that I would want you to be or believe that you are. So, in my own way... don't take it the WRONG way. I don't mean to embarrass you. I just mean to tell you the honest truth, and have you keep it with you, as a memory in your brain.

Love always...  Mom

This post is courtesy of Mama Kat's Losin' It Writers' Workshop, Weekly Writing Prompt: Write a Letter to Your Future Teenager.  Thanks, Mama Kat!

3 comments:

  1. Great letter. I especially like the "if I say you're beautiful". Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet! i love the sentiments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love your take on this prompt! Light-hearted and less serious than some (mine).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing the luv! Feel free to look around to other posts. I so appreciate you stopping by and commenting. Love to know you were here! Have a happy day!